I talked to 7 people who *actually* love their job…
This is what I learned.
An astronomical 85% of people (at least) hate their jobs. I had no idea this was the reality until I became a victim of “hustle culture” once I entered the workforce after graduate school. Then my question was, “well, what does the other 15% do?” I took it upon myself to find out the best way I knew how — talk to those people who truly are fulfilled in their jobs. I took a poll from family, friends, and random people on the internet who went as far to say they love their jobs. I came across multiple people within the same career who all stated similar things about why they love that job. Here’s what those jobs were.
Reasons they love their job: “This is a low risk and low stress job. The work/life balance is great and I never have to take work home with me! Plus I get to make people happy on a daily basis, because pies.”
Reasons they love their job: “It’s a quiet environment and it’s stress free. I get to spend time with children doing something that’s fun but also improving upon their learning. I’m also a book worm so I’m around what I love all day.”
Reasons they love their job: “I can be so creative and make someone’s vision come true! If it’s putting together flowers for an event such as a wedding or creating a simple bouquet for Mother’s Day, it always so rewarding to see the end product.”
4. Dog walker
Reasons they love their job: “I get to be outside basically all day and there’s virtually no human contact. It’s so fun walking and giving so many dogs time outside everyday. And they’re always happy to see me!”
5. Related Arts (Music/Art Teacher)
Reasons they love their job: “It’s lower stress than typical teaching jobs because we can be creative and have fun. The kids are usually happy to be in our class which adds to the fun factor. There’s also a ton of flexibility in the curriculum and that provides a ton of independence with the projects we do.”
6. Video Editor
Reasons they love their job: “I get to choose what type of media I edit so if it doesn’t interest me I don’t do it. I have a lot of fun with it and I get to be creative. I’m basically doing what I did as a kid for fun but now I get paid for it. I also have the ability to work from home which is a huge bonus for me.”
7. Mountain Resort Jobs (Lift Operator, Snowmaker)
Reasons they love their job: “It’s usually seasonal work so I can travel or switch things up in the off season. I also get to be outside a lot and it’s low stress because everyone is there to come have fun!”
What do all these jobs have in common? This is what I noticed.
- Low stress — there’s all the research in the world to support that stress levels impact our health, happiness, and overall quality of life. So why are so many of us still stressed in our jobs? Everyone I talked to that loves their job, also stated that it produced minimal to no stress.
- Work/life balance — shift hours, commute, or the amount of work you have to take home with you are all factors that can impact this equilibrium. A good work/life balance can reduce potential for burnout.
- Happy customers — working with happy people not only makes you happier, but it also results with the feeling that you’re providing value to others. Who likes being around grumpy people anyway?
- Creative and fun — creativity allows for more independence, producing higher levels of satisfaction. Also, stimulating all areas of the brain directly impacts overall happiness and satisfaction. Work doesn’t always have to feel like work.
Interestingly, nobody mentioned money being a contributor to their satisfaction in their work. The woman I spoke to who is a dog walker even said “it doesn’t pay that high, but I’m so happy and the fact that I’m getting paid anything to do this feels like a crime.”
Something important to keep in mind is this: You can enjoy your career but hate your job. I might be stating the obvious here, but it’s taken me years to figure this one out. For example, when I spoke to nurses, at least 50% of them said they love their job but the other 50% hate their jobs.
I realize that this is not an exhaustive list and I might not have given you any straightforward answers. Not everyone will love or even have any interests in the above jobs mentioned, but where does low stress, work/life balance, fun and creativity, and money fit into your equation? A great place to start would be ranking more than just money, shifts, and commute time into our priorities. If we all take time for regular self-reflection, maybe one day we can all have careers and jobs that we love.